Today I am heading to a coffee shop on Queen Street, not to meet a friend, just me and my computer. I am not alone, the place is packed with lots of flannel, beards and toques; but it seems quiet except for the indie music playing Anderson Paak. Everyone is engaged, not with each other but in their own head space, headphones and computers open. I am tucked into a corner table, perfect for people watching. I am drinking a very large almond milk latte extra hot that is a bit too strong, the music is a bit too loud and the carrot muffin too big. At home I listen to Jazz FM, drink herbal tea and eat carrot sticks. But after an hour or so you can get use to anything and this coffee shop is starting to feel like home. But after awhile I have had enough. I need to talk, so I am heading home to drink my own tea, eat my own treats and talk to Gordy.
This pumpkin loaf will fill your home with the warm aroma of spices and sweet smell of honey and is healthier then the muffin I ate this morning.
There is no place like home.
This recipe makes 1 loaf.
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup ripe banana, mashed
- ½ cup pure pumpkin puree
- ½ cup almond butter or any nut butter you like
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup honey
- 4 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup pecans, chopped, (optional, or your favourtite nut)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, salt and the rest of the spices.
- In a separate bowl combine the eggs, almond butter, honey, banana, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract. Mix everything together until you get a very smooth texture. (You could also use the food processor for this).
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until blended.
- Add the chopped pecans.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan, (I used coconut oil), and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, or until done, test with a cake tester or toothpick.
- Let cool before removing from loaf pan.