Growing up in Toronto most cakes and cookies in our house came from the bakery, Health Bread, Woman's Bakery or Open Window. My mother would bring home chocolate cupcakes, yeast donuts with chocolate glaze, blueberry buns in summer, rye bread with kimmel and challah on Friday's. When I was lucky enough to accompany my mother I never had to wait till I came home for a treat - the ladies behind the counter always had a cookie for me and it was a thrill watching how they tied up the cake boxes so quickly from string hanging in multiple rolls from the ceiling. I can assure you that nothing in those bakeries were baked with zucchini, spelt flour or maple syrup. Well times have changed and those bakeries are sadly gone.
I am trying really hard to cut back on sugar; this loaf may just hit that sweet spot.
Maple Pecan Zucchini Loaf
Grated zucchini bring moisture and texture to this loaf.
Makes one loaf in a 9x5 or 8x4 glass loaf pan
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds, ground soaked in 1/4 cup of water
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 ½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ cup zucchini, grated and well packed when measured
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup pecans, toasted and chopped and a few extra for the top
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- Mix flax seeds and water in a small bowl, let sit or 10 minutes until the mixture become thick and gel-like.
- Combine the coconut oil, vinegar, maple syrup, zucchini and vanilla in a bowl.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the flour, spices, baking soda and powder, salt and pecans.
- Mix the flax seed mixture in with the wet ingredients, and then mix your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into the greased loaf pan and top with some pecans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool before slicing.
- The coconut oil and maple syrup should be at room temperature.
- This loaf is great with some almond or peanut butter.
- I have made this recipe using parsnip in place of the zucchini and it was delicious.
- Zach and Yale gave this loaf a happy face.