The handwritten recipe by my mother in law Florence Hertzman who was with us in Perth and loved these cookies too!
I tasted these wafers when I was visiting my family in Perth Australia. A family friend Tanya who is an outstanding cook and caterer served these at afternoon tea. I noticed guests kept coming back to the table breaking off pieces and by the end of the party the plate was empty. My mother in law Flo and I made an attempt to bake these wafers; we ended up with one burnt cookie sheet and the other too thick and chewy to be called wafers, On the second attempt we adjusted the flour and watched the cooking time, Flo actually sat in front of the oven to keep a watchful eye, so remember they burn easily.
So here is the recipe all the way from down under, Perth Australia. Thank you Tanya!
- 10 TBS butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups very fine sugar
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 1 cup flour
- 4 egg whites
- 6 ½ ounces macadamia nuts, chopped
- ¾ cup dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Using a spatula spread mixture very thinly on to the two cookie sheets that you lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with chopped macadamia nuts and chopped chocolate.
- Bake until golden for 15 to 20 minutes
- Watch carefully as they can burn easily.
- Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.