I tend to crave carbs this time of year, sleep more and miss the sunshine. I just discovered that I like sleeping in, the days are getting longer and baking muffins make me happy. These muffins are made with amaranth flour, warming spices and veggies. Parsnip may not be a vegetable you think about adding to muffins, but they do add moisture and a subtle sweet earthy flavour. I have passed these off as carrot muffins to my taste tester who is always suspicious of what I am up to in the kitchen and… they passed. So get happy, bake muffins and add more veggies to your life.
Parsnip Carrot Muffins
While carrots are a familiar ingredient in baking, parsnips are not.
This recipe makes 10 muffins
- 1 cup amaranth flour, (or spelt flour)
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted and brought back to room temperature
- ⅓ cup maple syrup, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tbsp chia seeds soaked in 3 tbsp water for about 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup grated carrot, tightly packed
- ½ cup grated parsnip, tightly packed
- ¾ cup grated apple, tightly packed
- handful of unsweetened shredded coconut for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the coconut oil and maple syrup, then stir in the vanilla.
- Grate the carrot, parsnip and apple.
- Pour the coconut-honey mixture into the dry ingredients, then stir in the chia and the grated vegetables and apple. If mixture seems dry add a bit more almond milk.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with unsweetened shredded coconut, (optional)
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
These muffins are made using amaranth flour and coconut flour. Amarath flour adds moisture and coconut flour needs lots of moisture so this combination of flours work well together. The flours are from Cuisine Soleil. I like that all their products are gluten free, certified 100% organic and Kosher.