My Good Morning Muffins are vegan and made with a little bit of everything – spelt flour, coconut flour, zucchini, carrots, applesauce, dates and maple syrup. True to their name, they are worthy of breakfast after I spent the weekend enjoying too much TV, red wine, dim sum, and french fries (my weakness). The good thing about overindulging is that you know you can always start over and put aside the fries, and yes my jeans are a bit tight. Yale told me it is lame to wear leggings all the time, but it is winter and I must keep warm. I admit to watching too much TV and I am hooked on Episodes and True Detective. I may never give up TV, french fries or wine, but I can make some healthy choices, bake muffins and start a new day, good morning.
This recipe makes 10 large muffins. I used applesauce, maple syrup and dates to naturally sweeten these muffins.
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon of coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted organic coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of grated carrots
- ¾ cup of grated zucchini (unpeeled)
- 4 dates, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl combine all the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Finally, mix in the carrot, zucchini and dates and mix again.
- Spoon the batter evenly into your muffin tin.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until tops are browned and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely or a cooling rack before removing from muffin tin.