I have made vegetarian burgers before but never thought to make them mini and since Gordy loves anythingburger I thought I could pass these mini burger off without questions. Boy was I wrong. Before he even tasted one the competition was on. Gordy made his with wagu beef, American cheese, ketchup and pickles. Mine are made with black beans, oatmeal, organic ketchup and a dollop of dijon. Surprise, surprise, Gordy told me he really liked the black bean burgers, but ate all the the wagu burgers! I tried.
Mini anything is fun! You just need to know when to stop eating them!
My mini black bean burgers.
This is Gordy’s mini made with wagu beef.
This recipe make about 12 mini burgers.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 10 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 -1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon organic ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 mini hamburger buns (optional)
- 8 lettuce leaves (optional)
- In a large saute pan and a bit of oil and saute onions in oil for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the carrot, chili powder and cumin; cook 2 minutes longer or until carrot is tender. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a food processor add the black beans, oats, mustard, soy sauce, ketchup, pepper and carrot mixture; process until all ingredients are well blended.
- Shape into mini patties.
- Add a bit of oil to your saute pan and add patties and cook of each side until lightly browned.
- Then place on cookies sheet and heat in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until they are slightly crispy on the outside and soft in the inside.
- Serve on buns with lettuce and dijon mustard or whatever topping you enjoy.