I bought purple asparagus today and guess what when roasted they turn green!
When cooking fresh asparagus, I’ve found that simple recipes are best. A quick roast in a hot oven and a drizzle of dressing is all that’s needed. Purple asparagus is more tender and sweeter than the green variety and it is not often found in a supermarket, you may need to make a trip to your local farmers market .
I like to think that purple asparagus is special because,well, it is purple!
I found some today at Fiesta Farms.
This recipe is so simple.
For the asparagus:
2 pounds asparagus (trimmed and cleaned)
1 tablespoon olive oil
For the drizzle:
1 – 2 tablespoons maple syrup ( to taste)
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
Coarse salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup almond , roughly chopped by hand(you can lightly toast them if you like).
1. Toss the asparagus in the oil.
2. Arrange the asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet.
3. Roast in a preheated 400F oven until tender, about 15-20 minutes. (Note: Roasting time can vary greatly depending on how thick your asparagus is).
4. Mix the maple syrup, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
5. Toss or drizzle the asparagus with the maple dijon dressing and serve garnished with the almond slices.