Sorry Gordy, the oven is not turned to 350 degrees. The butter is not coming to room temp and the sugar and the flour are still in the pantry, but on the counter are raw walnuts, almonds, fresh soft dates and cacao powder. I am making raw chocolate brownies.
The great thing about these brownies is that I keep them frozen. This means that you can just open up the freezer and cut yourself off a bite when a sweet craving hits which is just about every night, ask Yale she is just as addicted as I am! I have even tempted Gordy to have a taste, it is chocolate after all… he still loves his cupcakes and lately donuts but I think I can get him to come on over to the raw brownie side!
Here is a very easy recipe. You can make it your own by adding some unsweetened coconut, orange zest, cacao chips, dried cherries, apricots, you get the idea.
The Raw Chocolate Brownie
- 2 cups whole walnuts (or pecans)
- 2 ½ cups Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 cup raw unsalted almonds, roughly chopped or any nut you like.
- ¼ tsp. pink Himalayan salt
1. Place 2 cups of walnuts in food processor and blend until the nuts are finely ground.
2. Add the cacao powder and salt. Pulse to combine.
3. Add the dates one at a time through the feed tube of the food processor while it is running. What you should end up with is a mixture that when pressed with your fingers will stick together, (if the mixture does not hold together well, you will need more dates).
4. In a large bowl combine the walnut-cacao mix with the chopped almonds. Press into a lined cake pan, (I line my glass Pyrex with parchment paper).
Place in freezer or fridge until ready to serve, best to eat when they are very cold or frozen.