The end of summer brings the sweetest of corn. That's Yale eating some grilled corn at the CNE. Her big smile inspired me to make this crunchy summer slaw because I know how much she likes corn.
For the salad:
- 3 ears fresh corn, shucked and silks removed
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1/2 a medium red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1/2 a medium yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups napa cabbage, shredded
For the salad dressing:
- juice of three limes
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 cup oil (whatever oil you like, I used Grapeseed)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 - 3 tablespoons honey (start with 2 tablespoons and taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grill corn on gas stove top or barbecue grill over a medium flame until black char marks cover the ears.
- Cut the kernels off the cobs once cooled.
- In a mixing bowl, combine corn, carrots, jalapeño, bell peppers, cabbages, cilantro and set aside.
- Combine oil, vinegar, lime juice, zest and honey and whisk until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and toss the slaw with the dressing.
You could also add some chopped cashews, pumpkin seeds and dried fruit to add more crunch.
Nutritional information for this recipe can be found at Meal Garden.