Stopping along county roads for produce from the farmers says end of summer to me. Time to fill jars and my freezer with all that the farmers have to offer; tomatoes, corn and peaches being some of my favourite.
And so is this cake. If you are looking for healthy and delicious then this recipe is for you. This is the perfect cake to make right now while the local peaches are still ripe are juicy.
The peaches are the star here.
Peach Almond Cake, Vegan and Sugar-Free!
I hate being peachy, but this cake has NO SUGAR!
- 2 peaches, sliced thin with skin on
- 1 1/2 cup whole grain spelt flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- sprinkle of coconut sugar, on top, (optional, I did say NO SUGAR but add this if you want- the sugar adds some extra crunch and sparkle to the peaches, a nice touch if serving to company).
- 1/2 sliced almonds, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 8-inch round cake pan.
- Thinly slice your peaches and set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, until just combined.
- Pour into pan and scatter the peaches on top of the cake, sprinkle with the sliced almonds and coconut sugar on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- I baked this in an 8-inch spring form pan, but any 8-inch cake or pie pan will work.
- The cornmeal gives the cake a bit of a grainy texture, it you don't want a bit of crunch to the cake you could grind the cornmeal in the food processor until it resembles a flour-like consistency.