I grew up when muffins were very popular. It was a treat that self-conscious teenage girls could eat without feeling guilty, we were just eating a muffin after all. Well what we were really eating was a lot of white flour, sugar and oil baked into an oversized ginormous muffin. I might as well had been eating cake.
I still love muffins, but now I like to bake my own. These muffins are filled with oats, flax, dates, pecans, some very aromatic spices and sweetened with a bit of maple syrup.
Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins
This recipe will make 8 - 9 muffin or if you want them ginormous over-fill the muffin tin.
- 2 1/2 cups oat flour, (make your own oat flour by grinding oat flakes in the processor until finely ground)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 cup dates chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners
- Start by mixing the ground flaxseeds with the water, set aside for 10 minutes
- Whisk together the dry ingredients
- Stir in the liquid ingredients and mix well with a big spoon
- Evenly divide the mix, I usually get between 8 and 9 muffins
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350F