My day would not be the same without my green smoothie. It is a drink fit for the Queen that I am (as Gordy would say). And if all that it takes is a bunch of kale, a handful of parsley and some blueberries, well so be it. Gordy keeps asking does it always have to be so green?
Well, nothing green here today. Hiding behind my bottle of honey, chia seeds and bag of quinoa is a pretty jar of Dulce De Leche . I am craving something sweet and this gooey, thick, creamy jar of goodness will be happily opened and eaten straight from the jar, well maybe just a taste from the jar. I made this smoothie with frozen bananas, almond milk and a big heaping spoonful of Dulce De Leche, (go ahead and lick the spoon, Gordy did). My in-house taster is requesting more Dulce De Leche please. Recent sightings - spreading it on toast, drizzled on waffles, fruit and ice cream…there are lots of good ways to add this caramel-like sauce to recipes, though I am pretty sure that it will not be showing up in my green smoothie any time soon!
I am using Bonne Maman Dulce De Leche, (Gordy is a big fan of their strawberry jam), and we both thought it was delicious. Oh and BTW, save the jar, it has a really pretty checkered top and is perfect for keeping spices fresh or storing home-made salad dressings.
Dulche De Leche Banana Almond Smoothie
Makes 1 big serving fit for a Queen.
- 1 frozen banana, cut into chunks before freezing or if you don't have frozen you can use a fresh banana.
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp ground flax seed, I like to sneak a bit of this in.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of dulche de leche, or more if you like!
- Handful of ice cubes if your banana is not frozen.
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until creamy.
- Pour into large glass or keep in fridge until ready to drink.
- Add a splash of coffee.
- A dash of cinnamon adds a bit of heat
- You can use any type of milk.