Cake for breakfast, well I am loving every bite and I feel like I am cheating - that would be cheating on my green smoothie. I think Gordy will be happy that no green smoothie will be waiting for him on his desk this morning, just cake made with almonds, coconut oil, honey and lots of local strawberries.
Sending some strawberry love your way…
Strawberry Almond Cake
This cake is gluten free and sweetened with honey.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons honey and 1 tablespoon reserved
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries, sliced
- big handful of sliced or chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 8 inch cake pan with coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, add almond meal, baking powder, eggs, butter, honey, vanilla and salt and mix until well combined, (I used my Kitchen Aid Mix Master), but you could do it by hand or with a hand-held mixer.
- Spread the batter evenly over the bottom of the cake pan, then arrange the sliced strawberry slices on top.
- Garnish with the almonds and then drizzle over remaining tablespoon of honey.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool before serving.
- This is not an overly sweet cake, it is just sweet enough.
- Serve with ice cream or frozen yogourt and more sliced strawberries on top.
Nutritional information can be found at Meal Garden.