What I like about fall…
and these muffins.
Apple Pumpkin Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon and a bit more to sprinkle on the apples
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 to 1/2 maple syrup (I used 1/3 cup but if you like sweeter muffins then go for 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil plus 1 Tbsp for sautéing the apples
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 3 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples, diced ( I leave the skin on)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl make the flax egg by adding 3 tablespoons of water to 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds, let sit for about 10 minutes or until it thickens.
- Sauté apples in a medium pan with coconut oil and a sprinkle of cinnamon until apples are soft, this should take about 10 minutes, set aside.
- In a large bowl add the pumpkin puree, almond milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and the flax egg. Then add the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to the wet ingredients and mix until just until blended.
- Fold in the apples.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin.
- Sprinkle a handful of oats on top.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.