These muffins are made with buckwheat flour which has a very earthy flavour. Yale said these muffins remind her of shopping at Courage My Love in Kensington Market. If you have ever shopped at Courage My Love then you know the smell, incense mixed with vintage clothing = earthy.
Buckwheat Zucchini Muffins
Makes 9 to 12 muffins
This muffin is naturally sweetened with maple syrup.
- 1 2/3 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup milk (almond milk, 2% milk, or whatever you prefer)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 12-cup muffin pan by either greasing or using paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together egg, maple syrup, milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract until combined. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredient mixture, and stir with a spoon until just combined. Stir in the zucchini until just combined.
- Spoon into muffin tin. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool before removing from pan.
- These muffins freeze well.
- Add any kind of nuts of chocolate chips if you like.