So yesterday I was doing my grocery shopping minding my own business when I was (accidentally) splatted with a broken jar of beets by a lady with the cart beside mine. Normally I would have made her feel that is was OK that the back of my pants were splattered purple and my shoes stained, but my anger got the best of me and I yelled at the lady and I yelled at the manager - both disappeared real fast, (sorry). Another shopper walking by told me to get a life and handed me a TIDE stick.
So why am I telling you this...on my way to the cash register (fuming) - was a beautiful display of asparagus, I grabbed a bunch and thought - life is OK when fresh asparagus is in season. When I got home I tried out the the TIDE stick an it worked magically.
I also tried out this delicious recipe for a Vegan Paella. I used my cast iron pan. but if you have a paella pan go ahead and use it, but no special pan is required, just a few tricks... make sure your pan is wide enough so the rice cooks evenly and and do not stir the rice, just let the rice do its thing and soak up all the flavours and broth. I made mine with organic white rice, next time I will try making it with brown.
P.S ...I forgot to add the chickpeas in this photo and I now will be carrying a TIDE stick in my purse.
Read my past blog post about making traditional Paella
Paella with Lots of Veggies
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or more if needed
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped, about 1 cup
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced, about 1 cup
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. crumbled saffron threads
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup short-grain white or brown rice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen baby peas or corn or both
- 1 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted green and black olives
- 10 stalks of asparagus, trimmed
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained, (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat. Add peppers, green onions and garlic, cook 5 minutes. Stir in broth, saffron and cayenne pepper bring to a boil. Add rice, stir once and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Add asparagus, peas, tomatoes, olives and chickpeas over rice. Cover and cook for about 8 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove from heat, and let rest, covered for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with grilled artichokes, lemon wedges and parsley.
- You can use broccoli, zucchini or green beans if asparagus are not in season.
- This is great with grilled artichokes and fresh corn grilled or straight of the cob.
- If you want to try using brown rice you will have to adjust the cooking time.
- I love to serve this at the table from my cast iron pan.