I made this for a certain someone who has committed to going vegan for a month. I keep getting questions... you mean no cheese, no yogourt, no eggs. Yes. But I did buy some vegan sour cream to top the tacos and to my surprise no more questions asked. Just a request...next time make more!
Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Avocado Spinach Cream
Serves: 3 to 4
Ingredients for the Tacos:
1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp thyme, dried
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
A pinch of black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tbsp oil
Fresh cilantro, for topping
Fresh lime juice, for topping
Jalapeño slices, for topping
Vegan 'sour cream' - (this is actually pretty good, I bought it for the first time)
Package of corn tortillas or your favourite tortillas, lightly warmed in a pan for a few minutes on each side
Ingredients for the Avocado Spinach Cream:
1 cup spinach, tightly packed
1 ripe avocado
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tbsp honey
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
A pinch of black pepper
Ingredients for the Cabbage Slaw:
3 cups purple cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup white cabbage, thinly sliced
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp honey, (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the almond milk, lime juice, garlic, thyme, turmeric, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne and oil, add the cauliflower and mix well to coat.
3. Place cauliflower on baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes. Check on the cauliflower after 20 minutes and give a little toss. Continue cooking until the cauliflower is golden.
4. In a food processor, blend all of the ingredients for the spinach avocado cream until smooth, set aside.
5. Mix all the ingredients for the cabbage slaw in a medium bowl, toss well, set aside.
6. To assemble the tacos, start with the warm tortillas, top with cabbage, then the cauliflower, a spoonful of avocado spinach cream, and then a dollop of vegan sour cream. Top with fresh cilantro and jalapeño slices. A big squeeze of fresh lime juice is the perfect finish.
Any leftover avocado spinach cream is delicious as a dip or salad dressing.