Fries = happy food.
I ate them as a kid sprinkled with salt and slathered in ketchup. I still love fries but nowadays I make my own using sweet potatoes and I a spicy dipping sauce.
I love this orange root vegetable for lots of reasons, it is one of the most nutritious foods in the vegetable kingdom, filled with fibre as well as containing a variety of vitamins and minerals including iron, calcium, selenium, and they're a good source of most of our B vitamins and vitamin C. One of the key nutritional benefits of sweet potato is that they are high in an antioxidant known as beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A when we eat them and gives the sweet potatoes its vibrant orange colour.
I made this for my personal in house taste-tester Gordy and when I pulled them from the oven…” what happened to my potatoes?” But once these shoestring fries were dipped in the mayo all was good in my house.
For this recipe you will need:
and a very hot oven.
a little salty
and you won’t be able to stop eating them!
Toss the spiralized sweet potatoes directly on a cookie sheet and drizzle with oil and whatever spices you like. I am a purist, just salt for me. No deep-frying which makes them easy to make, and healthy too - just a hot oven. You will need to really watch the cooking time as they burn quickly towards the end of cookings so keep checking on them and giving them a quick toss or two. While they bake you will have just enough time to whip up the Chipotle Mayo Dipping Sauce.
Eat fries, be happy!
Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries with Chipotle Mayo Dipping Sauce
These delicate, crunchy sweet potato fries are the perfect side dish and are far healthier than french fries!
This recipe makes 2 serving.
Ingredients for the Sweet Potato Fries
1 large sweet potato
1 - 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
pink salt, to taste
Directions for the Sweet Potato Fries
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread the sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Drizzle with the olive oil and salt.
2. Bake for 15 minutes, then take out of the oven and toss.
3. Bake for another 15 minutes, now is the time to keep checking the fires to make sure they don't burn. You will get some areas that will start to brown quickly just removed them as they become done and put the rest of them back in the oven.
4. Serve with the chipotle mayo.
Ingredients for the Chipotle Mayo Dip
1 cup mayonnaise, I like Vegenaise but use your favourite brand
1 tsp minced canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce, plus 1 tsp sauce
zest from half a lime
2 tsp lime juice
Directions for the Chipotle Mayo
1. In a bowl, mix mayo, chipotle, adobo sauce, lime zest and lime juice.
2. Cover and chill until ready to use.
I do not bother to peel the sweet potatoes, I just wash them really well.
Use the smallest blade for spiralzing.