Why are beets so amazing? They are jam packed with potassium and antioxidants, low in calories, and purple too. Beets make these burgers juicy and sweet and are full of good healthy stuff like veggies, beans, fresh herbs, oats and flax. These burgers may be gluten free, dairy free and egg free but filled with so much goodness that I can promise you that this tasty little burger is just that – amazing.
This recipe makes 8 burgers.
- 2 cup cooked black beans, (if using canned drain well)
- 2 cups shredded beets
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed*** + 4 tbsp water
- Olive oil or coconut oil for sautéing
- Soak the 1 tbsp ground flaxseed in 4 tbsp water for 15 minutes.
- Clean beets and carrots and shred with the shredder attachment of your food processor, then set aside.
- Change the attachment to a metal blade and add the beans, carrots and beets. Pulse about 10 to 15 times until the mixture blends together making sure not to over process, the beans should still have some texture.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add all the remaining ingredients.
- Using your hands mix very well. Everything should be well incorporated.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for a half hour to chill.
- Form patties, shape with your hands into burgers.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat.
- Pour a thin layer of oil into the pan and cook patties for about 5 minutes on each side. Depending on the size of you pan you should cook 3 or 4 burgers at a time.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place burgers on parchment lined cookie sheet. You can prepare ahead at this point and either keep in the fridge until ready to bake in the oven or put them directly into a preheated oven.
- Cook the burgers in the oven for 30 minutes until heated through. Check the burgers after 15 minutes and flip the burgers, this will make them crispy on both sides.
- Serve with your favourite toppings.
- I like to serve this burger with some honey mustard that I make by adding some honey to dijon mustard, add a pinch of cayenne pepper and stir well. Serve as a dipping sauce or on the side.
Nutritional information for this recipe can be found at Meal Garden.