The end of summer brings the sweetest of corn. That's Yale eating some grilled corn at the CNE. Her big smile inspired me to make this crunchy summer slaw because I know how much she likes corn.
For the salad:
- 3 ears fresh corn, shucked and silks removed
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1/2 a medium red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1/2 a medium yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups napa cabbage, shredded
For the salad dressing:
- juice of three limes
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 cup oil (whatever oil you like, I used Grapeseed)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 - 3 tablespoons honey (start with 2 tablespoons and taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grill corn on gas stove top or barbecue grill over a medium flame until black char marks cover the ears.
- Cut the kernels off the cobs once cooled.
- In a mixing bowl, combine corn, carrots, jalapeño, bell peppers, cabbages, cilantro and set aside.
- Combine oil, vinegar, lime juice, zest and honey and whisk until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and toss the slaw with the dressing.
You could also add some chopped cashews, pumpkin seeds and dried fruit to add more crunch.