What I love about soup is that I get to chop, simmer and stir my way to dinner in one pot. Cauliflower is one of those wintry vegetables that you can always turn to, it blends into a bowl of swirling creamy deliciousness. You just may want to eat this soup wearing your comfy pj’s, like Yale and I do!
Yellow Cauliflower Soup with Shitake Mushrooms
This soup manages to be very creamy while still being vegan friendly.
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg, plus more to taste
- 1 cups low-fat milk or almond milk, (we like almond milk)
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- In a large pot over medium heat1 Tbsp. oil. Add onions and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting heat so onions are cooking but not browning, until onions look starchy and a bit creamy, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add cauliflower, stir to combine, cover and cook 3 minutes. Add broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook until cauliflower is tender to the bite, about 10 minutes.
- Purée soup with a hand-held blender. Or, whirl in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth (place a kitchen towel over blender to prevent potential burns).
- Stir in pepper and nutmeg.
- Add milk or almond milk and cook over medium-low heat until hot. Taste and add more salt, pepper, and/or nutmeg to taste, if you like.
- Garnish with parsley
For something different try roasting some mushrooms for garnish.
Roasted Shitake Mushrooms
½ pound fresh shitakes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Large pinch of sea salt