“RAW DATE SQUARES” …well that’s what Gordy said. He was a bit disappointed that the house did not have that what are you making , you are driving me crazy smell, but when he tasted them that was all forgotten and I was Queen!
For the Filling:
- 2 cups chopped, pitted dates
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Juice of 1 large, organic orange (1/2 to 3/4 cup)
- Zest of 1 large, organic orange
For the crust:
- 2 cups of walnuts (or any other nuts you like)
- 1 cup raw oats ground (I used my Cuisnart to pulse into a flour like consistency)
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 to 4 Tbsp pure maple syrup or agave (taste for sweetness)
1. Soak the dates in the water and orange juice for about 30 minutes, until they become a bit soft.
2. Coarsely grind the nuts in a food processor, then add theoats and pulse to mix.
3. Add cinnamon and then maple syrup one tablespoon at a time until the mixture holds together.
4. Lightly oil a 9-inch square pan or round cake pan with coconut, grapeseed oil or any vegetable oil. (I like the taste of coconut oil).
5. Press a little over half of the nut mixture into the bottom of the pan, reserving the rest for later.
6. Puree the date and orange juice mixture until smooth but with a bit of chunks left.
7. Crumble the remaining half of the crust mixture over the dates and press lightly with your hands.
8. Sprinkle some quick oats on top for garnish.
9. Refrigerate or freeze before serving.
10. I like to snack and keep the leftovers in the freezer.