I love a sweet granola, but how about a savoury granola?
Its crispy, salty and has a little heat and a lot of protein. Sprinkle on top of baked squash, over sautéed vegetables or add a spoonful to a bowl of soup, or some crunch to a salad. This stuff is delicious, addictive and healthy too. I an a big fan of using canola oil when you don’t want your oil to take over the flavours.
Savoury Crunch Granola
This recipe makes about 2 cups
Add to just about anything that could use a bit of crunch.
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ginger powder
2 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup raw pecans or walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 300 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine oil, maple syrup, salt, coriander, turmeric, smoked paprika, chili powder, cayenne and ginger and mix well.
3. In a large bowl, combine oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and pecans.
4. Pour the oil and spice mixture over the oats and nuts, mixing until everything is well coated.
5. Spread the mixture in one even layer on baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown, stir the mixture every 10 minutes.
6. Let mixture cool completely and store it in a sealed jar or container.
You can use any combination of seeds and nuts that you like.
If you like it really spicy then add more cayenne pepper.
Keeps best in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
Try mixing things up a bit by using spelt flakes, rye flakes or quinoa flakes.