I am married to a burger lover – I did try to pass these off one night for dinner but I have to be honest they did not go over well , but what can I say I Ioved these burgers and will be making them again.
Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers
Makes 4 burgers
- 2 cups of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 cup of corn meal (I sometimes use quick cooking oats)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- dash of hot sauce
- Dash of salt
1. In a small sauce pan, toast the quinoa in olive oil for a few minutes. Add a cup of water and a pinch of salt, cover, and cook until the water is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
2. Put the black beans, cooked quinoa, corn meal or oats, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce, tomato paste and salt into a mixing bowl. Mix everything together with your hands until it’s evenly mixed.
3.Divide the burger mixture into four equal pieces. Use your hands to form the burgers.
4. Preheat a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Pour some olive oil into the pan. Cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side, until they are a deep brown.