Gordy was very excited when I said I was making brownies. Little did he know that these brownies are made with sweet potatoes. I may be a bit sneaky but thats how I roll! Really, the sweet potatoes keep these brownies moist and are a powerhouse of flavour and nutrients, are rich in an antioxidants, have lots of Vitamin A and are very high in fiber. So not only do these brownies taste great but they are healthy too.
Sweet Potato Brownies made with Coconut Flour
I always save room for dessert!
1 medium sweet potato, about 1 cup mashed
¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
⅓ cup honey
¼ tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp coconut flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
½ cup of dark chocolate chips or dark chocolate 85%, chopped into bite size pieces
1. Bake the sweet potato in a preheated oven at 400 degrees. This should take about 40 minutes depending on the size of your sweet potato.
2. When the sweet potato is done, remove the skin and mash with a fork or potato masher. Set aside to cool.
3. Turn your oven down to 350 degrees.
4. In a medium size bowl mix together the 1 cup of sweet potato, eggs, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla and mix well.
5. To the wet ingredients add the coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and chocolate chips.
6. Mix well and pour into a 8 x 8 baking dish.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until done.
8. Let cool before cutting into squares.
Next time I am going to add a teaspoon of espresso powder to the mix.
You can also replace the honey with maple syrup.
You can freeze these brownies but I doubt you will have any left!