My mother use to make meatloaf with a tin of Campbell's Vegetable Soup and boy was it good. Her recipe was made with ground beef, condensed vegetable soup, bread crumbs and spices. My veggie loaf is made with beans, oats and chia seeds. I was tempted to add a tin of soup but I really can't remember the last time I bought one, sorry Campbell's. This may be a little different from my mother's meatloaf recipe but I can say it is just as tasty.
I am loving this straight from the fridge with fresh tomatoes, tossed greens, a spoonful of dijon and a sprinkled of hemp hearts.
Veggie Bean Loaf with Hemp Hearts
For the Loaf:
- 3 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup dried mung beans which yields 4 cups of cooked beans, here is how I cooked the mung beans.
- 1 cup ground oats, (make the ground oats by putting oat flakes into a food processor and process until the oats reach a very fine consistency).
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots,finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- a big handful hemp hearts
Directions for the Loaf:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment, I like to let the parchment hang over the sides, this makes it easy to remove the loaf
- Make your chia egg by mixing the chia seeds with the water, stir and let sit for about 10 to 15 minutes or until is becomes a gel-like consistency.
- In a food processor, chop onions, garlic, carrots and celery until finely minced or you could chop by hand.
- In a sauce pan heat oil and sautee the chopped onion, garlic and celery for about 5 , then season with the chill flakes, thyme, salt and pepper, set aside.
- Back in the food processor, (no need to clean from the veggies) - process the beans, they should still be chunky.
- In a large bowl add the cooked veggies, beans, ground oats and the remaining ingredients. Mix well, this is where I find it much easier to use my hands to get everything well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Put the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, pressing the mixture firmly into the pan.
- Make the glaze by mixing in a small bowl the ketchup and maple syrup, brush over loaf.
- Bake at 350F for about an hour, let loaf sit for about 15 minutes before removing form pan.
- Before serving sprinkle with a handful of hemp hearts.
Remember to let the loaf sit for at least 15 to 20 minutes before cutting - I enjoy this best the next day straight from the fridge with some hot sauce or dijon mustard. The hemp seeds add some added crunch and nutrition too. I made mine with Mung Beans but I am sure it would be delicious with any beans.